Top 3 albums/eps of the week.

MacabreEternal

Grave Miasma "Exalted Emanations" - following on from my passionate affair with "Realm of Evoked Doom" I have had just as much pleasure this week from this.  Grave Miasma wear their influences on their sleeves' but never do they let them dominate their sound.

Mercyful Fate "Don't Break The Oath" - I don't own this - yet.  I was put onto its scent by Father A in the "..Listening To " thread the other week.  I own other Mercyful Fate records but not this one for some bizarre reason.  YouTube has kept me occupied with this one anyway.

Suffocation "Pierced From Within" - quite simply put this would make my top 3 favourite death metal records of all time.  I love "Effigy of the Forgotten" but this slab of blinding fury brought a certain refinement to the brutality.  I enjoy every minute of this album and have it churning around my brain for days afterwards.

Three fucking fantastic choices there, Macabre. 

Top spot for me this week goes to Obsequiae - Suspended In The Brume Of Eos. It's rare that I'm drawn back to an album this frequently. I'm not sure why I enjoy it as much as I do. Every song covers pretty similar ground, but on this album it feels consistent rather than repetitious. It's full of great melodies, and even when the songs are predictable, they're predictable in a good way; the transitions always seem to happen at the right time, and every part is allowed to develop. I suppose it helps that they're working with a limited pallette. There's very little here aside from an endless string of melodic sections. What it lacks in innovation, it makes up for in focus. 

Cult Leader - Lightless Walk ...brutally heavy hardcore that reminds me of Converge's "When Forever Comes Crashing", though certainly not as varied. It's the subtle rhythmic variations that keep this album moving. The drummer means business. I saw them play last night and he was phenomenal. 

Cruciamentum - Charnel Passages ...I was initially disappointed, because of the hype surrounding this album, but it's really grown on me. Definite similarities to Grave Miasma, but it's set apart by drier production, less focus on creepy melodies, higher tempos, and a more standard DM vocal approach. 

Macabre, did you ever get to see Conan? I've never even tried to find video of them playing live, but somehow they are a band that I'd really like to see. My made up impression of them is that they would never leave England. 

Can't go to shows unfortunately. Have a busted right ear drum thanks to a rather nasty infection from years ago. Nowadays can't have headphones on either for the same reason. Imagine they would slay live though. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

This is unfortunate. I recall mention of the affliction, but did not recall that it was yours.

Can't go to shows unfortunately. Have a busted right ear drum thanks to a rather nasty infection from years ago. Nowadays can't have headphones on either for the same reason. Imagine they would slay live though. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Temple Of Void "Of Terror and the Supernatural" - one of those albums that slipped into my collection without me noticing.  Saw it as a freebie on Bandcamp one week and downloaded it after one listen and it has taken me all of the last 14 months to give it proper listening time.  It is rare for death/doom to be done this well yet have a real edge to it also.

Deicide "Legion" -  I have a lot of love for "Legion", up until recently I had started to enjoy it more than the self titled (but I have reverted back after a few spins of the latter).  It still is one of the few DM albums that I always find to be memorable.  One spin of "Legion" and it is in my head for days afterwards.  When you wake up hearing Benton in your head screaming "Satan Spawn, The Caco Daemon" you know it is going to be a good day.

Hooded Menace "Darkness Drips Forth" - I like it when an album title delivers what it promises.  Somehow still the drip of darkness soon becomes a fluid mass of lurching death/doom that suffocates you in marauding melodies and at the same time pummels you with crushing riffs galore.  Fucking A!  

Anata - The Conductor's Departure

Wickedly memorable melodies, excellent songwriting, this is exactly how melodic death metal should be.

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery

More memorable, catchy as hell, melodeath. amazing stuff.

Deceased - Supernatural Addiction

Well written thrashy melodeath. That alone would be a big tick but lyrics inspired by horror stories and movies make this all the more enjoyable.

Vastum "Hole Below" - I am so satisfied by the experience of this album as a whole that I can literally go days without hearing anything else.  I was dubious at first listening to the pre-order tracks but my god was I wrong.

Black Breath "Slaves Beyond Death" - Wow! Two contenders for album of the year bought in the same week.  Black Breath fucking rule and despite everyone on the internet remarking how they have dropped their hardcore influences I still hear it throughout this album although their progression on this album is obvious and memorable.

Terminal Sound System "Last Night I Dreamed Of Armageddon" - a nice subtle ambient release that soothed me through all the project admin I had to do this week at the hotel most evenings.

Vastum "Hole Below" - I am so satisfied by the experience of this album as a whole that I can literally go days without hearing anything else.  I was dubious at first listening to the pre-order tracks but my god was I wrong.

Black Breath "Slaves Beyond Death" - Wow! Two contenders for album of the year bought in the same week.  Black Breath fucking rule and despite everyone on the internet remarking how they have dropped their hardcore influences I still hear it throughout this album although their progression on this album is obvious and memorable.

Terminal Sound System "Last Night I Dreamed Of Armageddon" - a nice subtle ambient release that soothed me through all the project admin I had to do this week at the hotel most evenings.

I didn't think that the new Black Breath song that I heard sounded like it was on par with Sentenced to Life, but I haven't heard the rest. Also, I can't really call their sound "hardcore influenced", as they started out as hardcore and slowly added more death metal to their sound. On Sentenced to Life, they brought in a big Swedish death metal influence, but they were still at least 50% hardcore at that point. They may have continued their evolution, but I would have a hard time believing that they stripped hardcore from their sound altogether. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Don't have three this week, but I've been coming back to Calvaiire's "Rigorisme" and "Forceps" a bunch lately. Dark hardcore, very much in the vein of Converge but without the metal influence. They've got a weird, jangly guitar tone that works really well for them, and they record live in the studio, which captures an awesome dark vibe.

Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcrorum

How do I even describe this? Just listen to it...NOW!!!

Ulcerate - Vermis

See comment above.

Portal - Outre

Weird, creepy, slightly unnerving Avant-Garde/Death Metal. Ties in nicely with the albums already mentioned if you ask me.

Agreed, all awesome albums. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Serpents Lair "Circumambulating the Stillborn" - okay it has a stupid title but the record itself is great.  Well structured BM with some nice ritualistic vocals.

Death Fortress "Among the Ranks of the Unconquerable" - yep, stupid album name number two and although not as enjoyable as my first entry this week it has still kept me company well up in the cold moorlands of Cumbria nicely this week with its creeping thin guitar sound.

Swallowed "Lunarterial" - probably one of my favourite DM records from last year, doomy yet not afraid to blast also.  Hooray for Finland! 

Darkthrone "Panzerfaust" - fast becoming my second favourite release of theirs this really does tick all the boxes for raw delivery and seeping darkness.

Bloodbath "Grand Morbid Funeral" - never heard any Bloodbath until yesterday and whilst it is nothing new it is very entertaining and I actually enjoy Holmes' delivery for once.

Seance "Fornever Laid To Rest" - since singling it out in the DM Top 100 thread I have listened to this most of the week.

1 minute ago, MacabreEternal said:

Bloodbath "Grand Morbid Funeral" - never heard any Bloodbath until yesterday and whilst it is nothing new it is very entertaining and I actually enjoy Holmes' delivery for once.

I'm honestly a bit surprised that you dig his vocals there, they were the low point of the album for me. I love his growl on Gothic, and even the harsh vocals on the new PL sounded alright (though the album as a whole didn't interest me).

Darkthrone "Panzerfaust" - fast becoming my second favourite release of theirs this really does tick all the boxes for raw delivery and seeping darkness.

Seance "Fornever Laid To Rest" - since singling it out in the DM Top 100 thread I have listened to this most of the week.

Panzerfaust easily beats out Under a Funeral Moon and Transylvanian Hunger IMO, I can't understand why it is so often shoved aside in favor of those two albums. I'm with FA on the new Bloodbath though, I think Nick sounds like shit on the recording, despite the music being better than Bloodbath's previous outing. He sounded better live, similar to how he sounds on the new PL. Much more of a morbid mid-ranged growl than the more low pitched roar he exhibited in early PL, and so very much better than that gruff constipated noise he tried to pass off as vocals on Grand Morbid Funeral.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk