Leaving your country?

Idlewilde

I would love to at some point, but I do not currently possess the means. I would like to have some money saved up to go with, as well as speak the language of wherever I decide to go (I speak some Spanish, but not enough to work in a Spanish speaking country). I really like Bolivia, but I'm not sure if I would like to make it my permanent home. I could always just choose another English speaking country, but as I haven't traveled much, I'm not sure which one I would choose.

I have. I even wrote to Canada's Department of Immigration about it, but they wrote me back saying no thanks. I think the grounds were that I didn't have a job at the time. (I do now.) I have thought about a move to Canada, England or Ireland at some point. It depends on the money. I like my country, but I think there are good things in other countries too.

Travel is great but completely up rooting your life? Not for me.
It's not really uprooting your life if your family comes with you (wife and kids, not parents), you're just in a different residence in a different place with the same people. My problem is my dogs, as dogs usually need to be quarantined for a great deal of time to be taken across borders (something like 6 months IIRC), which I couldn't deal with. If that weren't an issue and I had enough money saved up to live while I found a job, I would love to live somewhere else.

I have. I even wrote to Canada's Department of Immigration about it' date=' but they wrote me back saying no thanks. I think the grounds were that I didn't have a job at the time. (I do now.) I have thought about a move to Canada, England or Ireland at some point. It depends on the money. I like my country, but I think there are good things in other countries too.[/quote'] Canada is picky about who they take. They have a points system based on your qualifications and criteria, and you have to achieve a minimum number of points for them to grant you residency in their country. Having a job gives you points, having a better job gets you more points, speaking French gives you points, being financially secure, etc... We think we've got it all figured out, but it seems to me that Canada's border policy would solve many of our problems.

I've never lived in one house for more than six years. My family's always moving around - I was born in Santa Fe, lived in Los Alamos, then my family went to go work in Vancouver (where we lived in an employee shed in a park), then we moved to Cape Town and lived in a suburb. Then we moved to Houston for work, then after that to a town in New Mexico called White Rock, then back to Los Alamos. I wouldn't be surprised if my parents move when my brother and I finish college.

As you all might have heard of, Eastern Europe is notorious for its bad economic state, crisis, low salaries, blabla. I guess it is mostly like this but not so much worse than in other countries. My personal position is pretty fine, I have a stable job, with my sis we recently bought our own place. Like...6 years ago I was living with my parents in the opposite end of the country, in a seaside town. Had a great time there, a nice company and I really had the feeling of living in a community. By the time I moved out I lost most of my contacts, I moved to study in Sofia. Two years ago I lived in France, Normandie for a while and those were perhaps the happiest times of my life. Now nothing seems to happen here, people here have so much anger they don't stop complaining and when I meet new people they don't seem to care that there's another person around, it happens that they don't even introduce themselves. Anyway, like Sculli said, it starts to bore me to death to live here. Lots of people here emigrate, but I might be the only one that considers it not because of economic reasons. I'm thinking about collecting a bit of job experience first though. Australia is actually one of my top choices :) I think I have pretty good chances for Canada as well, France would be logical for me as well. About uprooting myself? I don't have my own family here. I have friends but untill now many of them took their own paths.

As you all might have heard of' date=' Eastern Europe is notorious for its bad economic state, crisis, low salaries, blabla. I guess it is mostly like this but not so much worse than in other countries. My personal position is pretty fine, I have a stable job, with my sis we recently bought our own place. Like...6 years ago I was living with my parents in the opposite end of the country, in a seaside town. Had a great time there, a nice company and I really had the feeling of living in a community. By the time I moved out I lost most of my contacts, I moved to study in Sofia. Two years ago I lived in France, Normandie for a while and those were perhaps the happiest times of my life. Now nothing seems to happen here, people here have so much anger they don't stop complaining and when I meet new people they don't seem to care that there's another person around, it happens that they don't even introduce themselves. Anyway, like Sculli said, it starts to bore me to death to live here. Lots of people here emigrate, but I might be the only one that considers it not because of economic reasons. I'm thinking about collecting a bit of job experience first though. Australia is actually one of my top choices :) I think I have pretty good chances for Canada as well, France would be logical for me as well. About uprooting myself? I don't have my own family here. I have friends but untill now many of them took their own paths.[/quote'] It's not an easy decision to make. Especially if you move to a country where their language isn't your native tongue. If you speak, read and write the language it would make it much easier to assimilate and be happy.

It's not really uprooting your life if your family comes with you (wife and kids' date=' not parents), you're just in a different residence in a different place with the same people. My problem is my dogs, as dogs usually need to be quarantined for a great deal of time to be taken across borders (something like 6 months IIRC), which I couldn't deal with. If that weren't an issue and I had enough money saved up to live while I found a job, I would love to live somewhere else.[/quote'] It really is uprooting even if you bring your loved ones with you. New surroundings, culture, economy, customs, etc... it can be very daunting. When I was an exchange student I was with several other English speakers and it was still difficult to adapt. It's more than just being surrounded by friends and what not. Being out of your element sucks. Not to say I didn't have a good time or anything like that, but I really missed my homeland. I agree about the dogs however. I refuse to leave my dog somewhere I'm not. I'm all for quarantining and testing and all that, but not for that length of time. You can determine all you need from a quick blood test and visual examination. That was another thing that sucked about when I was in Germany all those years ago. My dogs were back in the states.

Been thinking of this one. And i have to say since metal is one of the most important things in life' date=' and live shows and festivals are a must for my well being. Even leaving Gothenburg would be a bad for that.[/quote'] My bassist went to Gothenburg just this last year for work. I gave him a list of CD's to look for while there. He was only able to make it to one shop, I guess things close early there, and he said they had no metal, not even popular stuff. It was a mostly download, native folk music and generic pop. He said he was told that there are others else where but he didn't have the time to check them out. I was pissed to say the least.

RO do not come here' date=' it's shite.[/quote'] Maybe you could tell that to all the half-wit hipsters here who think that Sweden is the Isles of the Blessed and the UK is the Elysian Fields.

My bassist went to Gothenburg just this last year for work. I gave him a list of CD's to look for while there. He was only able to make it to one shop' date=' I guess things close early there, and he said they had no metal, not even popular stuff. It was a mostly download, native folk music and generic pop. He said he was told that there are others else where but he didn't have the time to check them out. I was pissed to say the least.[/quote'] Well if your looking for CD's. Sweden is sadly a bad choice. Most people are pirates or dont care about music. I buy most of mine online or at festivals. Dont know any stores who sell anything good anymore. they dont survive long those who try.

It's not an easy decision to make. Especially if you move to a country where their language isn't your native tongue. If you speak' date=' read and write the language it would make it much easier to assimilate and be happy.[/quote'] Well...i'm ok with english and french, I have some very little notions of german as well. However I'm giving myself some time here since I want to be able to work if I move out and with my current job experience it'll be pretty much impossible. So the time I need to get some years on a stable job, a driving licence and finish my master, I'll give my country a chance to make me stay.

well one time i left america to go the bahamas for vacation have i ever consider leavin america one time i want a move to austraila to work at austrialia zoo to work for steve irwin but that was a thought either flordia tampa death metal country fort llauderdale gator boys imarco island i own a timeshare there also ocean city maryland love that place i love america

• 2 weeks later...