The Official Thrash Metal Recommendations Thread

RelentlessOblivion

Re: advanced thrash metal Alright, I'm getting started here, but keep in mind that while I have more thrash than some other genres, I'm definitely no expert. Also, I'll only be posting songs from the band's works that I own and am familiar with, so I may be missing some of their best stuff.

The Accused - The Return of... Martha Splatterhead:

Rotten early crossover thrash, they're a bit more on the punk side of the spectrum here, but the riffs are still awesome.

Agent Steel - Omega Conspiracy:

This band is awesome, at least judging from this one album I have from them. I'm told their early work is awesome, it's just always missed making it's way into my collection for one reason or another.

Annihilator - Alice In Hell:

Be careful with Annihilator, this album "Alice In Hell" is awesome, but everything after ranges from absolute garbage to good/ok. Never, Neverland would be the next album to check out if you like this one, but I only have a couple of others after that.

Artillery - When Death Comes:

I know, I'm a massive poser because I don't have any old Artillery albums, but this album is pretty awesome, especially considering how new it is. I need to get more from these guys, but this album is still well worth your while.

Atrophy - Socialized Hate:

Atrophy is a fast paced and somewhat silly Arizona thrash metal band, but one that is still enjoyable despite the less serious nature of their sound. The style is what you would expect from a Bay Area band, with a melodious high speed style, and Atrophy plays it just as well as most any band from that scene.

Carnivore - Carnivore:

Nasty sounding thrash with punk and doom influences from Pete Steele, who would later form Type O Negative. I love this album, a bit more than the follow up Retaliation, especially for the vocals and lyrics.

Coroner - Punishment for Decadence:

Coroner is one of the best thrash metal bands of all time IMO, with totally original and innovative riffs and songs, a high level of technicality, and the ability to make my neck snap from headbanging so fucking hard. Absolutely essential.

D.R.I. - Crossover:

One of the earlier crossover thrash bands, this is the album where their metal elements matched their punk elements, and it kicks ass.

Dark Angel - Darkness Descends:

Totally devastating thrash, it was released at the same time as Reign In Blood, and it's about 100 times as brutal. Their later work was awesome too, especially Time Does Not Heal, but it's not quite as fast and the vocalist is a bit different, but I still love it.

Deathrow - Riders of Doom:

Not supremely original German thrash, but very enjoyable nonetheless, it reminds me of a favorable mix of Sodom and Destruction with Coroner styled vocals.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: advanced thrash metal Great post....I prefer Atrophy Violent By Nature personally, but a great list. Here's a few recommendations that I would make: Flotsam And Jetsam - No Place For Disgrace Death Angel - Relentless Retribution (even though it is their latest, I think it's easily their best) Sacred Reich - Ignorance Hallows Eve - Death And Insanity Infernal Majesty - None Shall Defy Forbidden - Forbidden Evil Heathen - Victims Of Deception Kreator - Extreme Aggression Cryptic Slaughter - Money Talks (original metalcore - not this "new" genre of metalcore) Crumbsuckers - B.O.M.B. (one of my all time favorites) Exodus - Bonded By Blood New thrash metal that I believe is worthy of checking out : Diamond Plate - Generation Why? Havok - Time To Burn (either one is actually great - these guys might be my new favorites)

Re: advanced thrash metal Invocator-Weave the Apocalypse Morbid Saint-Spectrum of death Exumer-Possessed by fire Razor-Evil Invaders Holy Terror-Mind wars Evildead-Annihilation of Civilization Hirax-Hate, fear, power Nasty Savage-Penetration Point Onslaught-The Force Whiplash-Power and Pain Sodom-Persecution Mania Wehrmacht-Shark Attack Sabbat-Dreamweaver Darkness (Ger)-Death squad Sadus-Illusions (Chemical exposure) Demolition Hammer-Epidemic of violence Blood feast-Kill for pleasure Horcas-Reinará la Tempestad Toxik-World circus Wargasm-Why play around Hallow's Eve- Death & Insanity Exhorder-Slaughter in the Vatican Rigor Mortis-Rigor Mortis Zoetrope-Amnesty Kublai Kahn-Annihilation

Well, I've started all of the genres you were looking for now, so I think I'll continue with thrash.

Death Angel - Frolic Through the Park:

I don't have Death Angel's debut, but most people I've talked to have some massive hate for anything this band released after that album. I really like Frolic Through the Park, the riffs aren't quite as vicious as most other thrash bands, but they're unique and interesting, and Act III isn't too bad either. They have been the absolute weakest band from the "thrash comeback" movement, both The Art of Dying and Killing Season are garbage, and I haven't bother to listen to any of their other new offerings because of that.

Destruction - Release From Agony:

This is Destruction at their most complex and interesting IMO, and shows why Mike Sifringer is easily one of the most talented riff writers in thrash history. Destruction is probably my favorite German thrash metal band overall, and they've also been the strongest in the modern setting of the German thrash brothers. Great band overall, this album just narrowly missed my top 10 thrash albums list in the other thread.

Exhorder - Slaughter in the Vatican:

These guys are usually remember for being "that band that Pantera sounds like", but they were a much more brutal band than Pantera ever were. Phil's vocals on Cowboys started to sound like Kyle Thomas' vocals, but they still had a great deal of power metal in their sound on Cowboys that you won't find on Slaughter In the Vatican. Their next album is a bit groovier, but much heavier and better than Pantera's followup Vulgar Display of Power.

Forbidden - Twisted Into Form:

Forbidden were a band that could have been absolutely unstoppable, but I've never liked their vocalist. Their first two albums feature awesome riffs, but I prefer Twisted Into Form out of the two. It's more complex, technical, and deep, and Russ Anderson's vocals aren't such a contrast to the music as they were in so many places on the debut, and is really a great album overall. Forbidden Evil is insane on a few songs, but some songs are weaker than others, and the aforementioned vocal performances just take me out of the atmosphere sometimes.

Hallows Eve - Tales of Terror:

Hallows Eve were a pretty good band that seem to have faded from memory. They weren't the best out there, but they definitely put out a few enjoyable albums before folding, even if their new stuff is awful. I was introduced to these guys by my first guitar teacher, who was a former touring member/roadie of the band, who also introduced me to other thrash bands like Slayer and Anthrax.

Heathen - Breaking the Silence:

Heathen were probably the Bay Area thrash band that kept the genre's NWOBHM roots intact more than any other, while still producing some killer riffs. This stuff will get your head banging, and you'll remember the catchy classic leads and melodies after listening. This album is awesome, one of my favorites of the Bay Area scene.

Kreator - Pleasure to Kill:

Kreator were one of the more brutal German thrash metal bands, having a large influence on European death metal with this album, Pleasure To Kill. Tracks like Ripping Corpse were especially influential, but this is one of the more straight up thrashers on the album. This is another album from 1986 that absolutely crushes Reign In Blood in terms of brutality, while simultaneously writing much better songs.

Living Death - Worlds Neuroses:

One of the lesser known German thrash metal bands, and not one of the absolute best either. Their albums are enjoyable despite the weak vocals, but there's not much else to say about them.

Mastery - Lethal Legacy EP:

One of the few modern thrash bands I give a shit about, Mastery does more without a vocalist than any bullshit retro thrash band I've heard. Their instrumentation is top notch and their riffs are ripping, but so far they've just released this one EP. Hopefully they'll give us a sequel to this one some time soon, especially now that they have Billy Milano as their vocalist.

Meshuggah - Contradictions Collapse:

Most people forget that Meshuggah started out as a killer technical thrash metal band before going out into left field, now known as "djent" territory. On their debut, they were clearly influenced highly by bands like Voivod and Watchtower, and Jens Kidman sounded a great deal like a deeper and more pissed off James Hetfield. The instrumentation, as always, is top notch, but on their debut album their riffs will snap your fucking neck. This is still my favorite Meshuggah album, even though their newer and more original sound is also awesome IMO.

Re: advanced thrash metal Return to carthage - great call on blood feast and wehrmacht! Whiplash as well. Im a little ashamed to admit I like that chopping block blues the most from bf. Holy terror was a nice call too. Have to dig through my collection this weekend and come up w some more. Cardinal sin - ressurection and INC - the visitor are two underground lps I love too.

Re: advanced thrash metal

Dude seriously give death angel relentless retribution a shot. Way the Fuck better than act or killing lps. I really dig it. Def worth a listen
I'll give it a shot. Their first two comeback albums might have had 3 riffs between them, and I felt like they were extremely limp wristed attempts to cash in on other band's comeback success.

Re: advanced thrash metal

Dude seriously give death angel relentless retribution a shot. Way the Fuck better than act or killing lps. I really dig it. Def worth a listen
I never gave a shit about Death Angel, everything they did was dull and their newest album had Trivium-esque clean vocals on it not to mention sterile modern production. I can't stand the band.

Re: advanced thrash metal ok got around to checking out your vid list BAN, you weren't wrong about Living Death, those were without doubt some of the weakest vocals I have ever heard, Heathen seemed more like a NWOBHM band then a thrash band but I didn't mind that, Death Angel didn't interest me that much but Destruction, Exhorder, Kreator, Mastery and Meshuggah certainly did

• 2 weeks later...

Metal Church - Metal Church:

This is Metal Church when they were in their early power/thrash metal stage. David Wayne's vocals take some getting used to, but I feel like they fit the music very well. These guys have a great balance of everything, awesome leads and solos, memorable songwriting, and heavy thrash riffs, and their first two albums are absolutely essential IMO.

Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death:

This is one of the best and most brutal thrash albums of all time, at least in my eyes. It reminds me a lot of Kreator's Pleasure to Kill, but with more memorable and destructive riffs, and it never fucking lets up. This is my favorite kind of thrash too, the kind from the late 80's/early 90's that just overdoses you on riffing punishment, basically thrash taken to it's logical conclusion. Enjoy.

Nuclear Assault - Survive:

Nuclear Assault are awesome New York styled thrash, almost like a less melodic and better written Anthrax. The songs are nice and fast, slightly punk influenced, and John Connelly's screechy vocals are a cool contrast to their riffs.

Razor - Violent Restitution:

Razor were one of Canada's most intense and awesome thrash metal bands, with a very destructive riffing style and a focus on shorter songs with huge impact. Violent Restitution was on my top 10 thrash albums list for a reason, more bands should have just cut the bullshit and thrashed their asses off like these guys did.

Realm - Endless War:

Realm were an early technical thrash metal band, with large power metal influences to their melodies and vocals. The vocals have pretty large ranging, seamlessly transitioning from lower to very high in an instant, and their instrumentation and songwriting are top notch. Really a terribly underrated band.

Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis:

Rigor Mortis were a pretty speedy thrash metal band from the late 80's, with their hyperspeed riffs and solos being their trademark. I personally think they're a little overrated, as the vocals and the songwriting are sometimes lacking, but this album is still pretty good. Mike Scaccia went on to Ministry of all places, and was responsible for bringing a large thrash influence to that band's sound as well.

Ritual Carnage - Every Nerve Alive:

Ritual Carnage is one of the few modern thrash metal bands I'm familiar with that doesn't suck. They started in the 90's, but have been making albums through the last few years. They're Japanese, but with an American vocalist, and a very heavy and deathy brutal thrash sound that reminds me a bit of Sepultura in their prime. This is from my favorite album of theirs, Every Nerve Alive.

Sabbat - Dreamweaver:

Sabbat are one of my favorite thrash metal bands, mostly because of their original riffing and vocal patterns, but the savagery and awesome delivery of both of those elements are key as well. Martin Walkyier's vocals are pretty venomous, but his lyrics are actually extremely well written, he's one of the few lyricists I pay attention to in metal. This is top notch stuff, as is their debut album, one of the best thrash bands ever.

Sadus - Illusion:

Sadus were one of the fastest thrash bands in the 80's, but it's in a way that I find a bit more enjoyable than bands like Rigor Mortis. These guys were also pretty influential on death metal, their next album furthered that side of their sound and was really more of a death/thrash album, but I still feel like their debut album leans much farther to the thrash side of the spectrum. Either way, it's awesome poser killing greatness.

Sodom -  Persecution Mania:

Sodom were originally a very Venom inspired early black metal band, but moved to a more thrash oriented sound after their first EP and album. It's still pretty raw and black metal influenced, but definitely more thrash at this point, but the riffs are excellent either way. Tom's vocals are still pretty savage as well, making these guys probably the most vicious of the early German thrash metal bands.

• 5 months later...

Haven't done this in a while, so here's a fresh batch:

Stormtroopers of Death -  Speak English or Die:

S.O.D. is essentially just Anthrax with Billy Milano on vocals instead of Joey Belladonna, but playing crossover/thrash. This album is way faster, dirtier, and more vicious than anything Anthrax did, and Billy's hardcore vocals definitely add to the intensity, though the riffs and drums were also insane for their time. The lyrics are also hilarious.

Vektor - Black Future:

You've all heard me mention these guys by now, easily my favorite modern thrash band. They play hyperspeed and highly technical sci-fi themed thrash, with high screeching vocals and impressive musicianship. Their songwriting, approach, and sound are all unique, you can hear familiar influences like Voivod and Coroner, but the way they combine everything is all their own. Don't miss these guys.

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare:

Vio-lence were one of the fastest and most brutal of the later Bay Area thrash bands, but were a bit less dark and more upbeat than bands like Sadus and Dark Angel. Many people have a tough time with the vocals, which is certainly understandable, but I feel like they have a rushed and over-the-top quality that actually fits the music. Awesome stuff.

Voivod - Rrröööaaarrr:

Voivod are one of my favorite thrash bands, with their late 80's work having an increasingly progressive and bizarre take on the genre. They used lots of odd sounding chords and progressions, but had a great way of combining all of their instrumental passages and wrote great and interesting songs. Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, and Nothingface are some of my favorite albums of the 80's.

Watchtower - Energetic Disassembly:

One of the very first technical thrash metal albums, this album was very influential to any technical thrash metal band that came after them. The drums are especially impressive, precise, and while playing in some strange times, I never feel like they (or the other instruments for that matter) are out of place. Probably my only gripe with this about is that the guitars are not mixed loud enough, but you can still hear the great stuff they're doing.

Whiplash - Power and Pain:

Whiplash were a pretty raw East coast speed/thrash metal band, this album being composed and performed by 3 guys named Tony. They played with tons of conviction and ferocity, with rough and screamed vocals. This is my favorite album of theirs, though with Insult to Injury they would "clean up" their sound a bit, and they actually managed to do it quite well.

Here's a few more that I have missed and/or acquired recently:

Devastation - Idolatry:

Devastation remind me a bit of Dark Angel, big heavy riffs, almost death metal guitar tone, but the aggression is a bit toned down (though it's hard to match Dark Angel's aggression). This is definitely a good band to check out if you like the heavier/more brutal later thrash sound, as these guys definitely aren't short on either of those traits.

Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday for the Deceiver:

Flotsam and Jetsam were a bit more melodic and power metal influenced than many of their Bay Area peers, but were insanely talented musicians and songwriters. Most people remember this band because of Jason Newsted's presence on their debut, and it's probably appropriate, as his basslines are high in the mix and excellent on this album. Everything is great on here, I can't believe it took me this long to check them out.

Holy Terror - Mind Wars:

Holy Terror were a speedy, yet melodic thrash metal band, one of the few that could pull off that level of catchiness at high speeds. The vocals are usually melodic, a bit like John Connelly of Nuclear Assault's delivery over the top of their fast riffs, but a bit rougher than that. Everything works very well on both albums, though it has taken me a bit of time to get into them.

advanced thrash metal I like agent steel, artillery is awesome, atrophy sound great, annihilator are pretty cool aswell. I like metal church's vocalist, theyre good too and i LOVE sodom! :3 i like whiplash's second album, especially burning of atlanta, sod are funny, and great musicians to boot, voivod sound cool, and flots and jets are ok.