Hi to all!

Novembrine_Waltz

Good evening guys!

I come from Italy so my english can be bad :D

But I would like to use this forum also to improve it and daily exercise.

I listen to metal music since I'm 14. My love go to black, doom and gothic but I'm open to any kind of music as well.

I hope to know a lot of kind and nice people here, to discover new band and maybe to let you know some that you don't already know.

See you!

C.

Well, it's an hard question.

During my life I went trough different kind of music. I was very active when I was 14/15. Looking for new band every day, especially from Norway/Sweden and then the most strange names in metal archives.

Then when I was 16/17 I started to listen to different music like Hardcore, electronic and similar because of a friend. This opened me to contaminations in metal and to other kind of music. I can say I'm grateful of this route, otherwise I could still listen to only "Trve norwegian and swedish black metal". 

Then after that I started to really appreciate the Italian Scene, we have great bands that have nothing to envy to the Nordic scene. But now I'm lazy. Is rare that I want to discover something new. I just start to listen something that I know on youtube and can happen that the site goes to another band and then maybe I ask myself "Who are they? I like that!!".

Sometimes I go to live music and listen to really good bands. I like to support underground scene even if my heart bands have big names.

I can tell you few names. I can tell you in advance that I usually prefer Black metal (melodic/symphonic as well), gothic and doom.

Marduk, Dimmu Borgir, Dark Funeral theese were the first ones.

Then Carpathian Forest, Burzum, Katatonia, Cradle of Filth, Theatre of tragedy, Tristania, Forest of Shadows, Satyricon, Emperor, Grand Alchemist, Forgotten Tomb, Cadaveria, The Foreshadowing, Novembre, In Tormentata Quiete, Nox Illunis. I am a Kurgaall fan even if I don't like too much his idea of a pure black metal sound.

Then I like a lot of other bands, metal or not like Helloween, Månegarm, Vinterorg, Finntroll, Pantera, Nirvana, The Cranberries, Oasis, The Prodigy, Rob Zombie, Rammstein, Slipknot, SOAD, Marilyn Manson, Klimt 1918, Aerosmith, Coldplay.

Then I can say that I also like something like Lady Gaga, Madonna, Stromae and I don't really remember their name but if I listen to them on the radio I don't have the istinct to brake it.

I also like classical music, especially orchestral.

I hear you having gone through a similar journey myself. When I first started listening to metal around 12 years ago the only way I came across new stuff was my cousin. A few years later when I had my own money and a little more freedom I'd buy whatever metal I could indiscriminately. Then around 18 I stopped looking for new stuff and stuck to what I knew. This forum really re-ignited my passion for discovering new bands and helped me understand just how massive the metal world is. Doom is my favourite sub-genre but I enjoy most of the spectrum.

You know if you're ever bored there are recommendation threads stickied to each genre subforum. BlutAusNerd, one of our users and a fellow moderator, has taken the time to create in-depth lists featuring band names, videos, and descriptions. Heaps of amazing stuff in there that's well worth checking out. 

We have a lot of very good bands!

Necrodeath are good, I don't like them too much but they are from my country and region so I try to support them.

But you have to know Spite Extreme Wing, Forgotten Tomb, Cadaveria, Aborym, Dark Lunacy, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Elvenking, Sadist (!!), Vision Divine, Rhapsody of fire, Opera IX, Extrema....are just few names of famous Italian metal bands

6 hours ago, Novembrine_Waltz said:

We have a lot of very good bands!

Necrodeath are good, I don't like them too much but they are from my country and region so I try to support them.

But you have to know Spite Extreme Wing, Forgotten Tomb, Cadaveria, Aborym, Dark Lunacy, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Elvenking, Sadist (!!), Vision Divine, Rhapsody of fire, Opera IX, Extrema....are just few names of famous Italian metal bands

I know Forgotten Tomb, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Elvenking, Rhapsody and Opera IX, but from this list I only like Forgotten Tomb and Fleshgod. I might check the others I haven't heard of yet.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join Metal Forum

joinus-home.jpg

• Our picks

• Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.

There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

3/5
      • Reputation Points

• 10 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

• 3 replies

• https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

• 2 replies
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  

There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

4/5
      • Reputation Points

• 4 replies