How to describe Amaranthe?

Avgrund777

It's kind of a EDM/nu-metal fusion isn't it?

I guess. I actually enjoy them quite a bit so I'm more tempted to describe them as progressive industrial or something. The thing is, the pop sound is very clearly intentional so I don't know that it's a valid criticism to gripe about it from a musicianship standpoint...but on the other hand they're definitely not avant-garde and there's probably a lot one could pick out. Kinda like a flashier (and better) Blood Stain Child, I suppose.

Edited by Iceni

I said nu-metal not to be dismissive but to be descriptive. My main reference point to nu-metal is the band Disturbed. In past years I've had two of their CDs and I listened to them both over and over in my car. I've lost interest I guess, but I don't discount Disturbed on the level of musicianship. This band Amaranth has a very similar rhythm guitar style and tone. It is crunchy as often you hear it described, and hesitantly ardent as well ("hesitantly ardent" may be appearing for the first time in print for all I know, but hopefully it will make sense). I like for my EDM to be wobbly dubstep, though I have a little appatite for it that can be satisfied by 10 minutes of dubstep a month, EDM has it's place. In my life it is standing up in a theater after seeming a conventional action film and walking out while thinking "fuck yeah, that kicked ass!". Later I'll say "the film was deeply flawed, but fun to watch" or something trite like that. The background music helps with the effect, so here I'm relegating Amaranth to a sideshow, not dismissing them all together. Programmed music faces a real threat of turning soulless, and though I'm not saying I find Amaranth to be soulless, they might be at risk.

You know at this point I like a carefully crafted image, and I dig their SiFi look. Must they put the hottie in the front and angle her towards a profile just to make sure you understand she is a very appealing female? Amaranth, get a fucking badassed woman drummer to replace your lame ass drum machine posers! and let her where futuristic work clothes like her bandmates instead of a zippless fuck suit from the 90's like you've got her in now.

This band sucks, I totally dismiss them.

I apologize, I didn't mean to me passive-aggressive and I do understand how my post came off. As for the similarity with Disturbed, that I can see and if you're using Disturbed as a metric for nu-metal then the comparison's fair enough.

Must they put the hottie in the front and angle her towards a profile just to make sure you understand she is a very appealing female? Amaranth, get a fucking badassed woman drummer to replace your lame ass drum machine posers! and let her where futuristic work clothes like her bandmates instead of a zippless fuck suit from the 90's like you've got her in now.

This band sucks, I totally dismiss them.

1. Why does it matter if they put Elize in the centre, what difference does it make if they put Olof (guitar) or Johan (bass) there? Usually singers are in the centre of the band picture.

2. it's Amaranthe not Amaranth.

3. She's not a drummer, she does clean vocals.

4. Because bands use drum machines does not make them posers, the Death metal/ grind core band Mortician used a drum machine from 1992-2003.

5. The band is not making her wear the clothes she wears its her choice and what does it matter why don't you blast the members of Slipknot, Mushroomhead, Coal Chamber or Marilyn Manson for looking out of place in their clothes.

6. Were you not just complementing the skill of the singer why are you dissing them now this final statement makes no sense whatsoever 

7. Do you know a thing about Grammar or the English language, because this was one difficult post to understand.

8. This post is very irrelevant to the question I posted

9. Disturbed isn't even nu-metal they just briefly touched on it during their first two albums, nu-metal is like Evanescence, Slipknot, Korn, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Deftones and P.O.D

10. Is this not the section of metal forum where there is no profanity or blasting and where you have educated, well informed debates with good grammar.

Is this not the section of metal forum where there is no profanity or blasting and where you have educated, well informed debates with good grammar.

It's usually the section where people talk about shit that actually matters to them, not where newbies ask silly questions about genre classifications. If you're going to get huffy about grammar and spelling, you should learn to use punctuation. A few more commas and question marks wouldn't go amiss. 

If you had read through the forum and gotten to know us, you'd know that Gorbo's posts can take some extra parsing. That's part of his charm. I agree with his general assessment of this band. This is heavily edited, shallow, by-the-numbers pop with distorted guitars and screaming. Personally I can't stand it. Whatever skill the members have, it doesn't compensate for bland parts and a lack of personality.

Pretty funny that you're taking this so personally; that was by far your longest post here. Feel free to get involved in some of our other conversations.

1. Why does it matter if they put Elize in the centre, what difference does it make if they put Olof (guitar) or Johan (bass) there? Usually singers are in the centre of the band picture.

2. it's Amaranthe not Amaranth.

3. She's not a drummer, she does clean vocals.

4. Because bands use drum machines does not make them posers, the Death metal/ grind core band Mortician used a drum machine from 1992-2003.

5. The band is not making her wear the clothes she wears its her choice and what does it matter why don't you blast the members of Slipknot, Mushroomhead, Coal Chamber or Marilyn Manson for looking out of place in their clothes.

6. Were you not just complementing the skill of the singer why are you dissing them now this final statement makes no sense whatsoever 

7. Do you know a thing about Grammar or the English language, because this was one difficult post to understand.

8. This post is very irrelevant to the question I posted

9. Disturbed isn't even nu-metal they just briefly touched on it during their first two albums, nu-metal is like Evanescence, Slipknot, Korn, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Deftones and P.O.D

10. Is this not the section of metal forum where there is no profanity or blasting and where you have educated, well informed debates with good grammar.

Dude, sorry to ruffle your feathers. I'm going to condescend to respond to your post though, right here in what will be my one thousand five hundred and eighth post. If you look back through my catalog of posts you may notice that a surprising number of them are in new threads started by new members in which appear my thoughts. I can't demand that you comprehend the generosity of that fact, but I implore you to consider it if you would please.

1. They are selling their music with sex. It has been done a thousand times to good effect, it is just facile that's all, and so I object. It's a minor point, and really her bandmates are showing just as much skin and ass for that matter, so I concede that I was wrong there.

2. Thank you, I see that now.

3. Of course she is not a drummer, she is a girl and girls can't drum. Was that your point? It sure was not mine, mine was that she seems a little ornamental in the band, that's all. Being a singer and being in the center of the photo are fine but there is one chick in the band and guess what she does, I'll give you a hint, there is not a tambourine in the mix. If my feminist outlook makes no sense to you I'm sorry.

4. Mortician you say, I don't know... that does not sound like my thing. I do not think that it is O.K. to use drum machines to make music. If you personally are using drum machines to make music, and I'm talking to everyone here, please stop doing that. This includes you Alabaster. I know sometimes it seems like the only way to proceed, but it is inhuman.

5. Her clothes are fine, please allow me to retract what I said about them.

6. That was meant to entertain Iceni, sorry you got cought in the crossfire. It is a rhetorical device I call the "bait and tackle".

7. I'm a native speaker of the language, and I recall diagramming a sentence or two. I do not actively try to be unintelligible, if I am I have no excuse to offer.

8. Try to read my second post in this thread as a reply to Iceni's first.

9. Believe is the one I liked. I later owned Indestructible. Thanks for your guidance through the terrain of nu-metal, I've got some profound lacunae there, and I know ignorance is not an excuse.

10. This is the deep and meaningful section of the forum. I try to stay out of this end of the pool, but you put up this flashy video up with a super sexy front woman, and I was drawn in like a moth before a flame. Fuck, I mixed up that metaphor. How did I ever become such an illiterate douche-bag? I never got the "no profanity" memo, if it is true that there is no profanity allowed in the deep and meaningful section, than it is not the section for me. I don't think you can rightly accuse me of blasting, as I did not do that.

Anyway I welcome you again to the forum, if you really want to talk about metal, I'll be one of the people who will, even if not from a well informed position. Now I just want to add this last bit here, so please hold on and take it in stride. The metal you are listening to is lame. Of course it is a question of taste, and it is sucky of me to put down your music. I know that. But really it is lame, and I'm sorry I started this sentence with a conjunction.

Thus continues the slow but sure metamorphosis. At this stage Gorbo is secreting the gossamer fibers necessary to weave his coccoon from which his long-ensconced form will burst, a fully-grown and majestic Izzard.

Edited by Iceni

1. It is an obvious marketing choice.

2. People make spelling mistakes from time to time.

3. When discussing a band one is not overly familiar with errors are to be expected.

4. Mortician are generic and boring. Furthermore drum machines are a poor substitute for an actual drummer.

5. The band will, more likely then not, have an agreement that certain apparel should be worn to maximise commercial appeal. In addition we do regularly criticise bands which rely solely on gimmick images to sell records.

6. It is Gorbo's way of interacting with Iceni. Perhaps deeper understanding of our community would ease your confusion.

7. See above comment.

8. Consult 6.

9. Disturbed are, in fact, nu-metal. Their sound screams nu-metal and like all nu-metal I have had the displeasure of hearing their music is not enjoyable. Their one positive quality is a decent vocalist.

10. There is no requirement to avoid cursing. This question had been answered and as such well thought out responses are no longer required.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Amaranthe are melodic power metal with pop vocals I like them

Hey Deathstorm, did you post a video of this band around, well several months ago, in which they were mostly in a desert with big tall rock outcroppings jutting up. I feel like I almost recognize them this go around from that earlier post of yours.