hi guys

TheDumbOne

Hello! I'm quite new to the genre ( almost two years) and I joined this forum to find more bands. 
I lost my phone recently along with my playlist (did not have space on PC to do backup) so I am hoping to build another playlist with your help. This is the content of my lost playlist:

• Iron Maiden Discography
  • Testament Discography
  • Blind Guardian
  • Insomnium Discography
  • In Flames (the first three albums as suggested)
  • Sabaton
  • Slowly we Rot - Obituary
  • Death Angel
  • Carpe Diem - heavenly

I hope you can suggest bands based from this list.

EDIT: I don't have cats but please reply to my post.

Edited by TheDumbOne

Already getting in on the joke, good to see, welcome to the forum. Always nice to see someone exploring the genre and naming actual metal bands not the melodic metalcore nonsense which most outsiders seem to think is representative of metal (deep breath) k rant over with. We've got a ton of threads dedicated to recommendations stickied to the top of each genre subforum. They come complete with video links courtesy of BlutAusNerd though since the forum underwent some maintenance work recently I don't know if they still work. I'd suggest flicking through them if you're interested.

For some general recs based on the bands mentioned I'll drop a dozen or so: Dark Tranquillity (through to Damage Done - melodic death metal much like Insomnium), Artillery (all - melodic thrash similar to Testament), Asphyx (mid-tempo death metal a little like Obituary but much heavier and a little groovier), Hallow's Eve (thrash with a sort of similar sound to Death Angel), Angel Witch (NWOBHM like Iron Maiden but heavier and less melodic), Persuader (power metal like Blind Guardian but heavier), Death (one of death metal's pioneering forces their discography is close to flawless), Crimson Glory (first two can't speak for the rest of their work. prog/power with formidable vocals courtesy of Midnight and an acute sense of melody), Fates Warning (prog similar to Crimson Glory but a little heavier and more varied vocals), Candlemass (doom, very melodic and emotive particularly on Nightfall), Holy Terror (speed metal sort of inbetween NWOBHM and thrash), Mercyful Fate (first wave black metal - very melodic with soaring high vocals and heavily Satanic themes. Pretty much BM at its most accessible).

I don't really know anything about metalcore but if it really sounds like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SC50HTQU8U (the 'Walk' part is awesome) then I'm not interested at all.

Thank you for the awesome suggestions! So far my favorite is the 'When Death Comes' album of Artillery. I still need to check all the bands you mentioned but so far I'm enjoying them.

PS; Your list is very well written and very helpful and I really appreciate it. I'd share you a beer but damn it, you are in Australia.

I don't really know anything about metalcore but if it really sounds like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SC50HTQU8U (the 'Walk' part is awesome) then I'm not interested at all.

Thank you for the awesome suggestions! So far my favorite is the 'When Death Comes' album of Artillery. I still need to check all the bands you mentioned but so far I'm enjoying them.

PS; Your list is very well written and very helpful and I really appreciate it. I'd share you a beer but damn it, you are in Australia.

Happy to help mate I remember what it's like when you're first cutting your teeth on metal (still a total noob compared to some of our forum compatriots) and I would have loved some more suggestions in those early days. 13 years on I'm still looking for suggestions - the quest for metal is hopeless and eternal...hooray

Stick to the flowers, though, really. :)

Welcome to the forum, we are always glad to see a new member here, please enjoy these flowers.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I wonder if this would work?

Rafflesia-arnoldii.jpg

Here is a cat for you, you can tell them all it is your cat, and that will help you get by on the forum here. Welcome to the forum.

I personally like this better:

Grumpy-Cat-Releases-Second-Book.jpg

Hello and welcome..listen to Sodom - Persecution Mania. I'll ask questions later..

Hi there and thanks! I'm listening to Sodom - Persecution Mania right now, what would you like to ask?

Happy to help mate I remember what it's like when you're first cutting your teeth on metal (still a total noob compared to some of our forum compatriots) and I would have loved some more suggestions in those early days. 13 years on I'm still looking for suggestions - the quest for metal is hopeless and eternal...hooray

I was trying to discover new bands by youtube but bands like Amaranthe keep popping out of the suggested videos so I got tired of it. But thanks to you guys I don't have to worry about that anymore! And yeah I think metal is eteranal! And is the most successful musical genre, in my opinion.

I dunno opera and classical have been around for centuries. Metal can boast impressive longevity but we're still in our infancy compared to those genres.

Like I said earlier the recs threads are a handy way to delve into new stuff and I'm linking in another handy thread in that regard. More opinion based, not split by genre, and lacking for some years but still very high quality albums to be found HERE:

Awww!  Everybody is doing the cat thing now.  I demand to know what slippers all newbs wear - open backed or full fit!

Yep, welcome and all that, shit news about your phone and music.  I keep seeing loads of Iron Maiden on vinyl and despite it makes no sense for me to do so I am so tempted to buy a record player and start a vinyl collection again.  All this despite having cloud storage twice the size of Africa.

Edited by MacabreEternal

Awww!  Everybody is doing the cat thing now.  I demand to know what slippers all newbs wear - open backed or full fit!

Yep, welcome and all that, shit news about your phone and music.  I keep seeing loads of Iron Maiden on vinyl and despite it makes no sense for me to do so I am so tempted to buy a record player and start a vinyl collection again.  All this despite having cloud storage twice the size of Africa.

I feel comfortable on an open backed slippers.

Good for you, as for me, I can only dream of vinyl and CD collections. There are literally no record store or or thrift shop in this god damn country that sell metal records, at least in my area. I could order online but man I'm just a poor freaking university student. The only way for me is to download my materials from the internet but they would all be in mp3. I bet metal sounds so cool in a loss less record.

I feel comfortable on an open backed slippers.

Good for you, as for me, I can only dream of vinyl and CD collections. There are literally no record store or or thrift shop in this god damn country that sell metal records, at least in my area. I could order online but man I'm just a poor freaking university student. The only way for me is to download my materials from the internet but they would all be in mp3. I bet metal sounds so cool in a loss less record.

Too right.  Some of the mp3 formats I have (and I travel a lot so any other format is technically pointless for me) are shocking.  Vinyl would be nice to come home too after suffering mp3s all week.

No kidding Macabre. I greatly prefer a physical copy but the local record store has seen a serious drop in quality. Used to be great, I'd go in with whatever spare cash I had and walk out with eight or nine albums early doors. These days the stuff sitting in the metal section is either grundge or melodic metalcore AND the mark-up compared to when I'd go in regularly is crazy. iTunes is the quickest, easiest, way for me to snare new music. Still find myself craving physical copies though so I'm thinking of reopening my eBay account and snaring what I can.

Yeah I sort of regret going into law. I was passionate about it then but not so much now. Really enjoyed the criminal law side of things and seem to have a real gift for that side of the law. Everything else though I just find myself going through the motions and struggling to pass. What I really enjoy doing is writing so maybe journalism is the field for me but there are some complicated circumstances which kind of lock me into law until I finish the degree.

Same with me man, I'm already into it and it is too late to quit now so I decided to finish my degree, get a job (hell any fucking job even if it is not related to engineering) then decide if I want to grab another degree. But who knows maybe its just a phase that we are going through. We have metal to fall back on to so we're not alone in this , we'll get through this!

No kidding Macabre. I greatly prefer a physical copy but the local record store has seen a serious drop in quality. Used to be great, I'd go in with whatever spare cash I had and walk out with eight or nine albums early doors. These days the stuff sitting in the metal section is either grundge or melodic metalcore AND the mark-up compared to when I'd go in regularly is crazy. iTunes is the quickest, easiest, way for me to snare new music. Still find myself craving physical copies though so I'm thinking of reopening my eBay account and snaring what I can.

I went to our nearest record store at the weekend and the choice was surprisingly varied. A smattering of "core" yes but on the whole decent. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I don't even recall the last time I visited a record store, much less found anything I wanted. I'm happy to purchase digital copies, or order a CD if I like the music enough, but expanding my physical collection isn't a priority for me now. Regarding sound quality, I prefer CDs, but FLAC files sound just as good and I'd love to get another portable audio player capable of playing them. I'm annoyed by my phone's lack of FLAC support. 

I don't even recall the last time I visited a record store, much less found anything I wanted. I'm happy to purchase digital copies, or order a CD if I like the music enough, but expanding my physical collection isn't a priority for me now. Regarding sound quality, I prefer CDs, but FLAC files sound just as good and I'd love to get another portable audio player capable of playing them. I'm annoyed by my phone's lack of FLAC support. 

Can you not get VLC player on your phone?  That supports FLAC files.