Your Top 100 Death Metal Albums

BlutAusNerd

I had previously done a list like this in the black metal thread. I'm not sure if it had a point or made a difference to anyone, but I actually had a rare onset of boredom today at work, so I occupied my time with this. Read, discuss, post your own lists, and enjoy, or if you think it's stupid, don't read it.

BlutAusNerd’s Top 100 Death Metal Albums (in no particular order):

!T.O.O.H.! – Order and Punishment

Abramelin – Abramelin

Abyssal – Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Akercocke – Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone

Amorphis – The Karelian Isthmus

Anata – Under a Stone with No Inscription

Angelcorpse – Exterminate

Antediluvian – λόγος

Arghoslent – Incorrigible Bigotry

Asphyx – Last One on Earth

At the Gates – The Red in the Sky Is Ours

Atheist – Unquestionable Presence

Atrocity – Todessehnsucht

Autopsy – Mental Funeral

Benediction – The Grand Leveller

Blood Red Throne – Altered Genesis

Bolt Thrower – War Master

Brutality – Screams of Anguish

Cadaver – …in Pains

Carcass – Necroticism – Descanting the Insalubrious

Carnage – Dark Recollections

Cemetary – An Evil Shade of Grey

Cianide – The Dying Truth

Comecon – Converging Conspiracies

Convulse – World Without God

Corpus Rottus – Rituals of Silence

Crypt of Kerberos – World of Myths

Cryptopsy – None So Vile

Cynic – Focus

Darkthrone – Soulside Journey

Death – Leprosy

Death – Human

Decapitated – Winds of Creation

Deceased – Supernatural Addiction

Deicide – Deicide

Demilich – Nespithe

Denial – Catacombs of the Grotesque

Desolate Shrine – The Sanctum of Human Darkness

Disharmonic Orchestra – Expositionsprophylaxe

Disincarnate – Dreams of the Carrion Kind

Dismember – Like an Everflowing Stream

Dismember – Indecent and Obscene

Drawn and Quartered – Hail Infernal Darkness

Edge of Sanity – Crimson

Entombed – Left Hand Path

Forgotten Silence – Thots

Funebrarum – Beneath the Columns of Abandoned Gods

Furbowl – Those Shredded Dreams

Gorement – The Ending Quest

Gorguts – The Erosion of Sanity

Gorguts – Obscura

Grave – You’ll Never See…

Grave Miasma – Odori Sepulcrorum

Hellwitch - Syzygial Miscreancy

Immolation – Here In After

Immolation – Shadows in the Light

Incantation – Mortal Throne of Nazarene

Incantation – Diabolical Conquest

Incubus – Beyond the Unknown

Kataklysm – Sorcery

Lantern – Below

Lykathea Aflame – Elvenefris

Macabre – Sinister Slaughter

Malevolent Creation – Retribution

Massacra – Final Holocaust

Master – Master

Merciless – The Awakening

Mitochondrion – Parasignosis

Molested – Blod-draum

Morbid Angel – Altars of Madness

Mortem – De Natura Daemonum

Necrophobic – The Nocturnal Silence

Nile – Annihilation of the Wicked

Nuclear Death – Bride of Insect

Obituary – Cause of Death

Order from Chaos – Stillbirth Machine

Pan.Thy.Monium – Dawn of Dreams

Pestilence – Consuming Impulse

Portal – Outre

Possessed – Seven Churches

Pungent Stench – Been Caught Buttering

Purtenance – Member of Immortal Damnation

Ripping Corpse – Dreaming with the Dead

Sadistik Exekution – The Magus

Sentenced – North from Here

Septic Flesh – Mystic Places of the Dawn

Sinister – Cross the Styx

Solstice – Pray

StarGazer – The Scream That Tore the Sky

Stormcrow – Enslaved in Darkness

Suffocation – Breeding the Spawn

The Chasm – Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph

The Chasm – Processing to the Infraworld

Therion – Beyond Sanctorum

Uncanny – Splenium for Nyktophobia

Undergang – Indhentet af Doden

Unleashed – Where No Life Dwells

Vader – De Profundis

Weapon – From the Devil’s Tomb

Xysma – Yeah

Please also keep in mind that this list is in no way meant to be conclusive, nor a representation of anything other than my favorite albums in the genre at present. I don't claim to be an expert, and I know that there is a ton that I have missed because I'm just not familiar with everything that is out there. Additionally, many of my favorite death metal bands never released albums, so there are a great many artists who belong on this list (Thou Shalt Suffer, R.U. Dead?, Depravity, Crematory (Swe), Timeghoul, etc...), but never released an album to include here. I could have changed the title of the thread to say "releases" instead of "albums", but as I'm not incredibly well versed in splits, demos, EP's, etc..., it didn't feel like the benefit would be a great one.

ohhh man oh man....this will take me a few days, but I'm gonna do it. will EP's count? edit: fuck. i need to learn to read the posts between the first and last. you have a lot of my favorites on your list. I noticed your Anata choice, I havent heard that album before but I dug the shit out of Conductor's Departure when it came out, is there a dramatic difference between the albums in your opinion?

ohhh man oh man....this will take me a few days, but I'm gonna do it. will EP's count? edit: fuck. i need to learn to read the posts between the first and last. you have a lot of my favorites on your list. I noticed your Anata choice, I havent heard that album before but I dug the shit out of Conductor's Departure when it came out, is there a dramatic difference between the albums in your opinion?
You can do EPs if you would like, I decided not to simply because my list might have only included 5-10, but go for it if you'd like. As far as Anata, Under a Stone With No Inscription isn't vastly different from the album that followed it, The Conductor's Departure, I just slightly prefer Under a Stone... All of their albums are amazing though, even the debut The Infernal Depths of Hatred.

• 10 months later...

Ok I have been revisiting some DM classics of late and whilst I simply do not have the time for a 100 list I will post current rediscoveries here (if I remember).  P.s. if anyone can instruct me on how to link YouTube vids to here I will do so but I cannot see the option on the reply option.

First up we have Seance "Fornever Laid To Rest" - often billed as a "forgotten" swedish dm band Seance share little in the way of sound from their more melodic contemporaries.  Seance's delivery of DM is more aggressive and brutal and they do it well, rightly receiving plaudits for their violent sound.  "Fornever..." was their debut full length in 1992 and is just straight up old school death metal, I have read reviews that point out the technical edge to the sound but I believe that is just due to the audibility of the bass more than anything else.

Edited by MacabreEternal

Updated Feb 2017 to reflect new releases and changes in my own listening.

I'm just as into hybrids of black/progressive/grind/hardcore/melodic/dissonant death metal as I am pure DM, and this list isn't supposed to be definitive of anything except what's currently relevant to me. 

____

!T.O.O.H.! - Rad A Trest

A Canorous Quintet - Silence Of The World Beyond 

Abyssal - Denouement

Abyssal - Novit Enim Dominus Qui Sunt Eius

Ad Nauseam - Nihil Quam Vacuitas Ordinatum Est 

Adramelech - Psychostasia

Akercocke - Goat Of Mendes

Akercocke - Choronzon

Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone 

Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus 

Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes 

Amorphis - Elegy  

Anata - Under A Stone With No Inscription

Anata - The Conductor's Departure  

Anathema - The Silent Enigma 

Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation 

As The Sun Sets - Each Individual Voice Is Dead In The Silence  

Assück - Anticapital 

At The Gates - The Red In The Sky Is Ours 

At The Gates - With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness

At The Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease

Atheist - Piece Of Time 

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence

Belphegor - Lucifer Incestus

Belphegor - Pestapokalypse VI

Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery

Broken Hope - The Bowels Of Repugnance

Brutality - Screams Of Anguish 

Brutality - When The Sky Turns Black

Cannibal Corpse - Tomb Of The Mutilated

Cemetary - An Evil Shade Of Grey

Cephalic Carnage - Perversion... And The Guilt After (split with Anal Blast)

Cephalic Carnage - Lucid Interval

Convulse - World Without God

Cruciamentum - Charnel Passages 

Cryptopsy - None So Vile

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery

Dead Congregation - Graves Of The Archangels 

Death - Human

Death - Individual Thought Patterns 

Death - Symbolic

Death - The Sound Of Perseverance  

Decapitated - The Negation

Decapitated - Nihility

Deicide - Legion

Deicide - Once Upon The Cross

Demigod - Slumber Of Sullen Eyes

Demilich - Nespithe

Desultory - Into Eternity

Disma - Towards The Megalith

Edge Of Sanity - Crimson

Fear Factory - Soul Of A New Machine 

Funebrarum - Sleep Of Morbid Dreams 

Gigantic Brain - The Invasion Discographies 

Gorguts - Obscura

Gorguts - Colored Sands

Gorguts - Pleiades' Dust

Grave - Into The Grave

Grave - You'll Never See

Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcrorum 

Human Remains - Using Sickness As A Hero EP

Immolation - Here In After

Imperial Triumphant - Abyssal Gods 

Incantation - Diabolical Conquest 

Infester - To The Depths (In Degradation)

Krallice - Ygg Huur 

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris 

Martyr - Feeding The Abscess

Mitochondrion - Parasignosis

Monstrosity - Millennium 

Morta Skuld - As Humanity Fades 

My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers

My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans

Necrophagist - Epitaph

Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence 

Nocturnus - The Key

Nocturnus - Thresholds 

Obituary - Cause Of Death 

Opeth - I'm going to count every album from Orchid to Ghost Reveries as a single entry so I have room for other stuff, they're all indispensable for me.  

Origin - Echoes Of Decimation

Pan.Thy.Monium - Dawn Of Dreams

Paradise Lost - Gothic

Pavor - Furioso 

Plebeian Grandstand - False Highs, True Lows

Pyrrhon - The Mother Of Virtues

Ripping Corpse - Dreaming With The Dead

Sentenced - North From Here

Septic Flesh - Mystic Places Of Dawn

Septic Flesh - Titan

Skinless - Foreshadowing Our Demise

Solstice - Solstice

Suffocation - Pierced From Within

The Red Chord - Fused Together In Revolving Doors 

Ulcerate - Destroyers Of All 

Ulcerate - Shrines Of Paralysis

Unfathomable Ruination - Finitude

Virvum - Illuminance

Voices - London 

Wicked Innocence - Omnipotence

Wormed - Exodromos 

Second mention for "Karellian Isthmus" and I didn't really get on with it - might revisit at the weekend. Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

It's one of my favorite metal albums in general. It and "Tales" may have been my introduction to DM with melody - keep in mind I was maybe 14 when I started listening to it. I have no idea what I'd think if I heard it for the first time today. 

Second mention for "Karellian Isthmus" and I didn't really get on with it - might revisit at the weekend.Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

That one is a classic, I'm surprised that it didn't do anything for you. I would definitely suggest giving it another try, as I agree with FA about its status as one of my favorite albums in general.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I don't even have 100 death metal albums but I'll do what I can so without further delay here is

RelentlessOblivion's Top Death Metal Albums

Anata - The Conductor's Departure

Asphyx - Last One On Earth

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence

Behemoth - The Satanist

Benediction - The Grand Leveller

Bolt Thrower - ...For Victory

Bolt Thrower - Warmaster

Brutality - Screams Of Anguish

Cryptopsy - None So Vile

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery

Darkthrone - Soulside Journey

Death - Leprosy

Death - Human

Death - Individual Thought Patterns

Death - The Sound Of Perseverance

Deicide - Deicide

Deicide - Legion

Dismember - Like An Everflowing Stream

Entombed - Left Hand Path

Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcrorum

Hellwitch - Syzygial Miscreancy

Immolation - Dawn Of Possession

Incantation - Onward To Golgotha

Massacra - Final Holocaust

Miseration - Your Demons - Their Angels

Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness

Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick

Morbid Angel - Covenant

Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked

Obituary - Slowly We Rot

Obituary - Cause Of Death

Orphaned Land - Mabool

Portal - Outre

Ripping Corpse - Dreaming With The Dead

Sadistik Exekution - The Magus

Sadistik Exekution - We Are Death, Fukk You

Sadistik Exekution - Fukk

Sinister - Cross The Styx

Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten

Sympathy - Anagogic Tyranny

Ulcerate - Vermis

Listened to "The Karelian Isthmus" last night again.  Nothing to not like but nothing I can remember today, it just passes me by.  Riff wise it has me written all over it but longevity wise I struggle with it.  I can't reference it enough to consider it one of my favourites despite (as already stated) there being nothing wrong with it.

EDIT

Re: RO's list, pleased to see love for Ulcerate and Cryptopsy (that fucking drumming) and "....For Victory" is a great call.  Not sure on Behemoth as a DM record but can't get away from how great an album it is.  The Incantation call is superb but for me "Pierced from Within" beats the Suffocation option in there.

19 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Listened to "The Karelian Isthmus" last night again.  Nothing to not like but nothing I can remember today, it just passes me by.  Riff wise it has me written all over it but longevity wise I struggle with it.  I can't reference it enough to consider it one of my favourites despite (as already stated) there being nothing wrong with it.

I get that, it's how I feel about a bunch of classic and highly regarded albums from all over the spectrum. I'll make you a deal - if you listen to "The Karelian Isthmus" daily for a week, I'll do the same with "Blessed Are The Sick", and maybe something will take. 

(I'm half joking, but I'll totally follow through on it.)

19 hours ago, MacabreEternal said: Listened to "The Karelian Isthmus" last night again.  Nothing to not like but nothing I can remember today, it just passes me by.  Riff wise it has me written all over it but longevity wise I struggle with it.  I can't reference it enough to consider it one of my favourites despite (as already stated) there being nothing wrong with it.

I get that, it's how I feel about a bunch of classic and highly regarded albums from all over the spectrum. I'll make you a deal - if you listen to "The Karelian Isthmus" daily for a week, I'll do the same with "Blessed Are The Sick", and maybe something will take. 

(I'm half joking, but I'll totally follow through on it.)

I would suggest doing so with Altars or Covenant, I feel that Blessed doesn't quite measure up to those two.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk